PowerVM LPM/SRR Automation Tool
Dawn May reviews the PowerVM LPM/SRR Automation tool in detail.
By Dawn May10/23/2017
Earlier this month I wrote about PowerVM Live Partition Mobility and Simplified Remote Restart, and I hope you want to get your I/T environment LPM and SRR capable to exploit these features.
This week, I’m going to review the PowerVM LPM/SRR Automation tool in detail.
As I wrote before, LPM is a feature of Power Systems servers that enables a virtual machine (logical partition, or LPAR) to be relocated to another system while it’s running, with no downtime. SRR allows an admin to restart partitions from a failed server to another server. These capabilities are quite similar in helping IBM Power Systems clients to move applications between servers.
The LPM/SRR automation tool, which is delivered by IBM Systems Lab Services, has quickly grown in popularity since its launch in early 2015, with over 240 customers world-wide using this tool.
Here are some of the LPM/SRR automation tool’s top benefits:
- Ease of use: The tool is easy to install and easy for clients to learn how to use; they can master its basic features in just a few hours.
- Time savings: The LPM/SRR tool can save clients a lot of time moving applications between servers. If you don’t have the tool, you can only do one mobility at a time through the Hardware Management Console or PowerVC. With the tool, you can do about 16 at a time, in parallel rather than serially.
- Advanced features: The LPM/SRR tool includes features like the ability to easily remap PowerVM configurations from IBM POWER7 to IBM POWER8 (HBA mappings, V-switch mappings, shared processor pools and so forth). Clients moving to a newer version of IBM Power Systems can therefore redesign their PowerVM mappings onto the new servers with ease.
There are also some longer, more-detailed videos available for those interested in in-depth information about the tool:
- LPM SRR Automation Tool—a presentation on the LPM/SRR tool including new features in V8.5
- Simplified Remote Restart—a presentation on what SRR is and why clients need it, as well as some information on the LPM/SRR tool
This blog was originally published as Fast-growing Lab Services tool saves IBM Power clients time.
Dawn May is an IBM i consultant. She owns Dawn May Consulting, LLC in the Greater Boston area. Dawn is a former IBM senior technical staff member.