Considering Leaving the IBM i Platform? Be Aware of the Following
Companies with tradition and history often find themselves in a vicious circle with regard to their current applications.
Heidi Schmidt ,
PKS Software GmbH
But for IBM i, many decision makers don’t know the whole story. As IBM has done a great job to continually integrate open source tools to appeal to more developers, while also updating the hardware, application leaders should reassess the capabilities and quality of these platforms before leaving them. This is also important, because many migrations off the IBM i platform have failed over the last few years.
If you want your company to benefit from the opportunities offered by technological progress, yet at the same time fear the risks and high costs of big-bang projects, then software transformation is the right path for you.
Software transformation means moving existing software–consisting of business logic, data, UI, and the corresponding developers and users–from a starting point that has evolved over time to a target system that’s fi t for the future.
Your company, too, can overcome the delivery gap and benefit from a software transformation with:
• Increased sales thanks to agile IT systems
• More speed and flexibility when re-designing business processes
• Increased productivity and satisfaction for your developers and users
• Clarity, security and speed in the development of your company IT
• Saving of maintenance and operating costs by eliminating technical debt
• Flexibility in the use of IT resources
If you are doing a software transformation, you should be aware of two key challenges:
• Do not consider it as an IT issue, rather than a business decision. IT-driven modernization efforts often fail, increasing both cost and complexity.
• If you think, the current platform is too expensive, please recalculate these numbers and ask an external consultant for review, as the cost savings can be disappointing at the end.
Heidi Schmidt is the managing partner of PKS Software GmbH. In 1996, Schmidt installed her first SAP R/3 system as a customer. Twenty-five years later, she is convinced that self-developed software often serves higher value to companies, but emotions must be removed from the decision-making process in legacy discussions.
About PKS Software GmbH
PKS Software GmbH creates clarity and shapes the future of business-critical software systems. Learn more about our solutions →