Supporting Clients’ Journey to POWER9
Steve Sibley shares how IBM has supported clients in their journey to upgrading to POWER9.
By Steve Sibley03/01/2019
I spent a lot of time on the road last year, meeting with clients around the world. Our clients are the heart of our business, and I love hearing their stories and successes. Overwhelmingly, they have expressed their excitement about the Cognitive Systems strategy and portfolio of offerings. Whether clients are focusing on optimizing the agility, cost and performance of their IT infrastructure; starting their journey to migrate to SAP HANA; or delving into the new world of artificial intelligence (AI), they’re excited about how the POWER9* platform benefits their businesses—both in terms of addressing critical business needs as well as driving growth and innovation.
Specifically, I’ve heard clients tell me that PowerVC* cloud management capability combined with Power Enterprise Pools is enabling them to transform even their largest mission-critical applications into an on-premises private cloud—simplifying management and accelerating their ability to deploy and update applications. Our SAP clients talk about how running multiple SAP HANA development and production instances on a single system is dramatically reducing the number of servers they have to manage and is lowering their cost. And nearly every client is excited about the prospect of what AI applications will bring to their business and how easy and cost-effective it is to get started with PowerAI or PowerAI Vision and a Power* AC922 server.
A few of the most recent POWER9 client successes we’ve seen include:
- Walmart de Mexico, a retailer in Mexico, elevated critical application performance and availability, complied with Sarbanes-Oxley guidelines and cut total cost of ownership when it refreshed its infrastructure with Power Systems* servers running IBM PowerVM* technology
- Royal Greenland, a fishing company in Denmark, reduced annual planned downtime by more than 95 percent and increased application response time when it implemented a solution featuring IBM Power Systems servers and IBM Storage technologies
- Fawry Banking and Payment Technology Services, an electronic payment services company in Egypt, boosted storage performance by 35 percent and cut time to complete its overnight reconciliation process by half using an AC922 server and PowerAI, as well as IBM Storage, IBM Spectrum Storage, IBM Systems Software and IBM Information Management solutions, to accommodate rapid growth and support data science initiatives
- Wijnen Van Maele, a wine retailer in Belgium, boosted revenues, met new business-to-business requirements and avoided capital costs when it created a security-rich, high-performance platform for e-commerce on an IBM Power S924 server running IBM i in a cloud environment
- KYB Americas Corporation, an automotive parts manufacturer and distributor in the U.S., increased flexibility, added functionality and improved operating efficiency when it installed an upgraded IT platform based on an IBM Power S914 server and an IBM Storage TS2260 tape drive
- Grupoi Zapaterias Flexi, a shoe company in Mexico, obtained the necessary IT equipment for 50 percent less than the initial cost requirements and increased flexibility when it installed IBM Power Systems, SAP Customer Activity Repository and SAP S/4HANA solutions to support its latest point of sale platform
Read additional client case studies at ibm.biz/powercasestudies.
I look forward to learning more about what your organization is accomplishing with the help of Power Systems, and hearing feedback about how we can continue to support your journey to POWER9 and beyond.
Steve Sibley is the vice president of IBM Power Systems Offering Management.
Post a Comment
Note: Comments are moderated and will not appear until approvedcomments powered by Disqus