IBM Announces IBM Wazi to Enable Cloud Native DevOps on IBM Z
Red Hat CodeReady Workspaces, an add-on to IBM Cloud Pak for Applications, was announced at IBM Think last week.
By Sanjay Chandru05/19/2020
One of the longer lasting effects of the current pandemic crisis is going to be the acceleration of an organization’s digital transformation. Customers who were taking a more phased approach towards digitization are now under pressure to accelerate their transformations and this has happened overnight because of the current crisis.
Develop. Innovate. Transform.Enter IBM Wazi for Red Hat® CodeReady Workspaces, which was announced at IBM Think last week. IBM Wazi is an add-on to IBM Cloud Pak® for Applications. Developers can use an industry standard integrated development environment (IDE) such as Microsoft™ Visual Studio Code (VS Code) or Eclipse, to develop and test IBM z/OS® applications in a containerized, virtual z/OS environment on Red Hat OpenShift® running on x86 hardware.
IBM Wazi for Red Hat CodeReady Workspaces V1.0 features the following:
- Code: Offers essential developer capabilities that include edit, build and debug using a choice of IDEs, including VS Code and Eclipse.
- Sandbox: Enables developers to develop and test z/OS applications in a containerized, personal sandbox environment on OpenShift running on x86 hardware.
- Adoption of Agile and DevOps practices: There’s an increasing business need for modifications to mainframe applications with quick turnaround time. z/OS development teams must therefore adopt DevOps practices to improve their agility and focus on innovation that matters.
- Staffing and skills shortages: There’s an impending erosion of institutional knowledge and skills as the COBOL experts are retiring and companies haven’t invested in modernizing applications, for various reasons.
- Delivering cloud native applications: Cloud native adoption has gained traction and is expected to reach 35% by 2020. There are few common toolsets for z/OS development in the hybrid, multicloud development paradigm
- Slow software delivery cycles: Siloed teams with manual practices, and decentralized processes are the norm. The pace of hybrid applications change requires accelerated turnaround, and a strong DevOps culture focused on responsive software delivery.
- Development capabilities that are portable across any cloud or hybrid platform and optimized to run on OpenShift
- A choice of VS Code or Eclipse IDEs to edit, build and debug
- An insulated, and containerized, z/OS sandbox, that is easily and quickly provisioned, to develop and test z/OS applications
IBM Wazi integrates seamlessly into a standard, Git-based open tool chain to deliver CI/CD and is offered with deployment choices so that you can flexibly rebalance entitlement over time based on your business needs.
Protect and leverage your IBM Z investments with robust and standard development capabilities that encompass IBM Z and multicloud platforms.
Watch the video or learn more here.
Sanjay Chandru is the director for Z DevOps at IBM.More →
Sponsored ContentAchieve Compliance Without Impacting Productivity
Post a Comment
Note: Comments are moderated and will not appear until approvedcomments powered by Disqus