Customizing Business Communications Flow
Business communications continue to be an important IT investment area, driven by new document-creation and -distribution capabilities as well as its impact on a businesss bottom line. Business communications is a key focus area for i5/OS* V5R3. Youll find more flexibility and function within your business documents and significant "e-delivery" extensions that enable you to profile and customize the flow of documents and reports from the iSeries* server.
With the documents and reports you create, you can now:
- Select and use TrueType and OpenType fonts directly in iSeries applications
- Select and use standard Web-image formats such as JPG, GIF, TIF
- Implement color images with either Advanced Function Presentation (AFP) or ASCII file formats
- Fully implement Unicode for multinational application systems
Once those documents and reports are created, expanded options allow you to:
- Intelligently route output based on programming or defined profiles
- Define delivery profiles via an end user non-programmed interface
- Encrypt and password protect the PDF files you create
- Use enhanced design functions in Infoprint Designer
- Print or distribute in full color
These capabilities are delivered in OS/400*, i5/OS, Infoprint Server, Infoprint Designer and Print Services Facility* (PSF/400). This article examines the new functions in detail. Also, the Benefits of Output Reengineering section can help you gauge the financial impact of the changes you can make with these new capabilities.
Another significant change in the iSeries output architecture is support for Unicode, which is a new data-representation standard designed to provide a single interface to all of the characters contained within the world's many national languages.
Search our new 2013 Buyer's Guide.